SoundWire lets you send any music or audio (“what you hear now”) from your Windows or Linux PC to your Android mobile devices. Use it as:
- A remote speaker or wireless headphones
- A way to listen to music and movies from your computer anywhere in your house or out on your deck.
- A wireless extension of live audio from your PC-based music system
The full version of SoundWire enables unlimited Opus audio compression, can handle up to 10 connections at the same time, and has no ads or interruptions. It also has a special Pro Mode to set and display buffer latency precisely in milliseconds. You can use any music player on your PC or laptop like Spotify, Grooveshark, YouTube, or iTunes and feed the live sound directly to your Android device. SoundWire lets you listen to the free versions of Grooveshark and Spotify on your phone.
SoundWire has low latency (audio delay), which means it can even be used to listen to the soundtrack of a movie or YouTube video while you watch (**Note you must adjust the buffer size in app settings for low latency). There are other uses too… SoundWire can work as a baby monitor or listening device with a computer such as a netbook that has a built-in microphone. Hook up turntables to your computer’s line input and stream a live DJ set to another part of the house over WiFi, or anywhere else over 3G/4G.
- Live audio capture and streaming to multiple clients
- Excellent sound quality (44.1 / 48 kHz stereo 16-bit, PCM or Opus compression)
- True low latency (unlike AirPlay, Airfoil)
- Easy to use
- Compression option greatly reduces network usage
- Can work over Bluetooth by enabling tethering
- Stream music from PC to PC running x86 virtualized app (Linux/Windows)
- Save everything you hear to a file (MP3 or WAV)
Before using SoundWire on your Android device you must install and run the SoundWire Server application on the Windows/Linux PC or laptop which is your source of music, web audio streaming, or other sounds. Raspberry Pi is also supported. Download the server at http://georgielabs.net
For more information see the getting started guide at http://georgielabs.net/SoundWireHelp.html
SoundWire (full version) Screenshot:
What’s new in this version:
- Fixed fc on connect in Android versions before 4.0.3 for some Pro Mode buffer sizes
- Added support for native audio (OpenSL ES) on Android 2.3+ devices, including low-latency audio support for
- Android 4.2+ devices which support it.
- Low buffer sizes (8k/40ms) now possible on every Android 2.3+ phone.
- Now automatically reconnects if needed on settings changes (with settings option to disable).
Requires Android 1.6 and up
Download link SoundWire (full version) v2.1.1 APK: